Wednesday, July 24, 2013

High Adventure

Hey long time no talk. Since I last posted a lot of wonderful things have happened to me. I had a good jr. year and made a lot of new friends. Can't wait for Sr. year it will be super legit. I just got home from Utah and had a wonderful time seeing friends and family who live there. Last week was high adventure  and the troop went down to Port Aransas and then up near Austin, TX. The week started with a seven hour drive that was really hard on my legs because I was in the back of a suburban with two other guys. Once we got down there we rented some kayaks and went into the gulf of mexico and had a blast there.
We then went to our campsite for the night. As we pulled out our tent one of the two poles from the tent was broken with duct tape. We made it work, although the tent was pretty lopsided. We then realized that that the door would not zip up properly, and to top it off we knew it was going to rain that night. Once we set up camp some of the guys went to the beach, it was way pretty. We were there maybe 15 minutes before the heavens opened up and started to rain. The next day our tent was mostly dry and we were supposed to go deep sea fishing. At that point I felt an impression to put my things (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, clothes and all) into the back of the car because i felt like it was going to rain again.
  Once we were on the boat we all cast our poles out and in less than 20 seconds Andrew threw up. After that six or seven of the guys followed his example. The whole day no one on the boat caught a single fish (that we could keep, because one man caught a catfish but he could not keep it). When we got back it was raining pretty hard and when we looked at the tents water had gotten into all of them, one tent even had the entire rain fly fly off. Every single person in our group and soaking wet belongings except for me because I had put my things back into the car. After we realized there was little we could do about it we went to the beach and body surfed.... good times. Then we headed to a hotel for the night, that's right a hotel on high adventure. So I got to take a shower and sleep in a bed, very sweet.
Next day was river kayaking down San Marcos. That was way sweet because of the scenery.

After that we went to see the bat bridge in Austin but I would not recommend it.

Next day was caving and that was definitely the best part. We crawled through really tight spaces and at the end of the cave that was a thing called the rat hole. The point was to crawl in there, turn around and crawl back out. Sounds easy enough until you realize the incredibly tight space you have to move. I am pretty skinny so the hardest part for me was getting my feet to move because they are pretty big.
Finally I made it home and had a way good Sunday to finish off a great week. Now it is Tuesday, tonight I am going with the missionaries to teach a friend which I am really excited about. And my boy Derek T leaves tomorrow for Santa Rosa California for a two year mission for the church. Atta boy Derek. And that is all for today from A Boy In The Mission Field.

1 comment: